Roccaforte Mondovì

Roccaforte Mondovì

situated in the Ellero Valley, one of the twenty valleys of Granda Province. The vast territory (h. 8485), flanked to the west by the Pesio Valley and east of the valley of the two Frabose. The municipality is composed from the capital, two fractions (Prea and Lurisia) and numerous villages (Dho, Bertini, Norea, Baracco, Rastello, S. Anna di Prea, Annunziata, Bonada, Rulfi, Ghirarde, Sacconi, Botti, Gallini and Magnaldi).

The high Valle Ellero is an area of great value from the point of view of flora, fauna as regards the area as well as enjoy the benefits of the nearby presence of the natural park of the high Valle Pesio and Tanaro, has a great vocation wildlife.

From the historical point of view the Roccaforte origins date back to the first half of the second century BC, when a group of mountain Ligurians settled in the average Ellero valley along the connecting routes between the low Piemontese plain and the Ligure region.

When the Roman Empire fell the first churches were founded early Christian among them, perhaps, the primitive Pieve roccafortese, on which later would be the present parish church of St. Maurice was built.

The tenth century was characterized by the Saracen raids from Fraxinetum; Saracens settled between the Valle Ellero and Tanaro Valley. In 1014 the Emperor Henry II granted to the abbey of Roccaforte Benigno S. Fruttuaria. In 1041 Henry III Roccaforte put under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Asti. In 1210 Otto IV granted the stronghold Castrum to the Abbey of Bremme under the control of the Bishop of Asti. In 1347 all the Monregalese came under the influence of Acai, while Roccaforte passed to the contrary faction, led by the families of Della Valle and Bressano. In 1400 the area was controlled by the Savoy White Countess.

The salt wars (the first in 1680 – the second in 1699) ravaged the area for a decade.

The first half of the eighteenth century I characterize you for the robbery, and numerous famines and epidemics, which led to the buildings of many rural pylons dedicated to St. Rocco and St. Joseph.

In 1794 Napoleon’s troops arrived in the upper valley, ready to launch the attack on the Monregalese and with the entry of Napoleon in Mondovi (1798), the stronghold of Count Lorenzo Clerico, he was named Republican National Guard Emperor. After Roccaforte Restoration passes again under the control of the Savoy.

The high Valle Ellero, like all the neighboring Monregalesi Valli, was the undisputed theater of partisan.

The Territory

Roccaforte Mondovi situated in the Ellero Valley, one of the twenty valleys of Granda Province.

The vast territory (he has 8485), flanked to the west by the Pesio Valley and east of the valley of the two Frabose. The municipality is composed from the capital, two fractions (Prea and Lurisia) and numerous villages (Dho, Bertini, Norea, Baracco, Rastello, S. Anna di Prea, Annunziata, Bonada, Rulfi, Ghirarde, Sacconi and Botti).

High Valle Ellero is an area of great value from the viewpoint of the flora, enjoys the benefits of the nearby presence dela Parkland high Valle Pesio and Tanaro and has a great vocation wildlife.