La Pieve di San Maurizio
It is located to the right of the Ellero stream about 500 meters from the town center. It was restored in 2002 and is in a good state of conservation. From July 2020 the parish can be freely visited using the “Chiese a porte aperte”. (Clicca e SCARICA: per ANDROID – per APPLE)
The current building was built between the 10th and 11th centuries where there was probably a place of worship destroyed by the Saracens before. The first mentions of the building date back to some deeds of land transfer dated to the years 1001 and 1011 as “capella quod est built in honor of santi petri” (chapel built in honor of St. Peter) and at the time it consisted of a single nave with apse; only in an unspecified and subsequent period but in the same century, the church was enlarged with the lengthening of the existing nave, the construction of the bell tower incorporated in the left side of the facade and the addition of a minor nave on the right. The materials for the construction, roughly squared stones, pebbles from the nearby Ellero stream, the style of the bell tower decorated with blind arches, clearly reveal its belonging to the Romanesque period.
As for the titration to San Maurizio, it can be seen that there are no depictions of the saint from the Romanesque period, while the fresco in the main apse certainly dates back to the 17th century. It is therefore believed that perhaps the new titration took place in the 16th century. under the impulse to please the Savoy who became the lords of the place.
The cycle of frescoes found in the main apse, in the minor one and partially along the naves, in the Romanesque-Byzantine style, of which it is one of the very few remains in Piedmont, is attributable to the 11th century. Cycle of frescoes in the minor apse in Romanesque-Byzantine style The frescoes, by an anonymous artist, represent Christ Pantocrator surrounded by Seraphim with the symbols of the four Evangelists, while on the velarium there are various scenes representing figures of animals and monsters. The arrest of Jesus and the kiss of Judas are depicted on the right arch, while the scene of a duel is depicted below. Fresco representing the kiss of Judas In the main apse there are traces of three figures representing a winged lion and two haloed characters. Frescoes of the main apse General view of the main apse On the right wall of the main nave are painted scenes from the biblical cycle of Genesis: The Tree of Good and Evil with the Serpent, Adam and Eve, Abel’s offering. Frescoes on the right wall of the main nave Also on the side of the main apse you can see the fresco of the Madonna with Child and San Costanzo dated 1486 and attributed to the Monregalese painter Giovanni Mazzucco. Madonna and Child with San Costanzo by the painter Giovanni Mazzucco (1486) Finally, at the center of the main apse, there is a 17th century fresco depicting San Maurizio kneeling and dressed as a knight.