Baracco

Baracco

Going the Ellero Valley and reached Norea about two kilometers from the Capital City of Roccaforte, leaving to the right the old road that runs along the Rastello torr.Ellero take the road for the Township Baracco, lined with chestnut groves, from coppice and by large still cultivated grassland spaces. The wide public road ends at the Borgata. Baracco is a rural nucleus belonging to the Occitan culture, where the linguistic roots of KIE are still present. Around the Borgata it is still present in many buildings in the typical “enclosed roof.” The houses are lined up along the ridge of the mountain ridge, from where to admire in all its beauty the Prea fraction.

Along the main street you can see the narrow houses and reach the Church of St. Anthony. The documented history of this dates back to the 1500 Borgata: Notary and administrative documents of Mondovi in ​​fact speak of a large group of families from the Frabose who moved in Valle Ellero in Baracco area of ​​land then the City of Mondovi. After lengthy litigation that lasted until early seventeenth century these families, upon payment of appropriate sizes they were recognized owners of the land until then occupied unlawfully. Currently it is a village with few permanent families but very busy at weekends. In fact, there are numerous old houses retrieved and restored, even in a respectful manner of their traditional rurality, and are primarily used as a second home. The village (850 m asl ) Is a valid starting point for various types of both intermediate excursions (Collar Friosa-Stalle del Colletto [Pin]) that towards the alpine zone (Rifug.Mettolo Castellino-Cima Durand-Mongioie). The chapel of Baracco bears the title of St. Anthony and is painted by hand crafted.

They celebrate the feasts of the Blessed Mary of St. Antonio Abate and San Sebastian Martyr. The patronal feast organized by the “Friends of Prea” (tel. Cell.347653547) celebrates the month of July.